Thursday, August 24, 2017

Shhhhh...did you hear that?

The beginning of school year brings so many wonderful things: fresh new kicks, pristine paper, newly sharpened pencils, glue with absolutely no dried gunk around the nozzle, and plenty of smiling faces (child, adolescent & adult faces)

Classes begin with rosters names, proper pronunciations, classroom rules, syllabi, expectations, blah, blah, blah. Teachers help give directions for lost students, console both students and frightened parents, there's almost a sense of over-communication...yet there also never seems to be enough.
Forms, upon forms, upon forms are filled out. Usually they're crinkled, crumpled, stained messes by the time that they are collected.

During the beginning weeks, I took the time to walk around my school as much as possible and I took away this:
Good teachers are on it. They were organized, getting the tone set, dusting off the old summer habits and breaking kids in before the calendar turned to September.
Great teachers LISTENED. They did all the above but they began collecting data.

Data?  (Please, not another read about data)

Ok, instead of data...clues, information, hints, etc. about their learners.
See GOOD teachers know their content. They know how to effectively deliver it, etc.
GREAT teachers learn how to best deliver to the unique individuals in their room. How do they do that?  They LISTEN
They ask personal and probing questions. They have them write about their interests or draw about something they enjoy. They let them use technology to create and let their minds go wild. They let them choose where they want to sit...maybe just a day or two. GREAT TEACHERS listen even when students don't talk. And this begins on DAY 1.

I observed, that this act of listening is not in just GREAT TEACHERS, but simply GREAT PEOPLE. I saw in meetings where people know all of the answers, know all of the Ins & Outs don't check email, don't text...they ACTIVELY LISTEN.
They make eye contact. (I asked a student to look at me when I was disciplining him. What was that a power play on my part? Nope, I wanted to read him. Hear what he was saying while I was talking. He was angry at me...but he did look at me, & he didn't want to. Good for him)
How well do I learn? Later that evening I'm reading Twitter while my wife is trying to tell me about her day.  So the "Suspendee" is teaching the "Suspender". I should have made the eye contact, and ACTIVELY listened. Not to stay out of trouble, but because she and her story deserved me to be present. I saw GREAT TEACHERS listen to angry kids swear and yell and scream horrible things at them (yes, already) and you know what they heard? Change is scary for me. I don't like myself. I don't trust adults. I feel awful and can't explain it. GREAT TEACHERS hear things that aren't spoken.

Great people, great leaders, listen to those who are sharing and collaborating. Sometimes it's for the value of what's being shared, and sometimes it's to value those WHO are sharing. Ever been in a team meeting and not everyone on the team shares? Why is that? It's funny how there are things to listen and hear when nothing is said. I'm fortunate to work for a fabulous listener. One of the best in the business. He listens to parents, teachers, community members, administrators, custodians, everyone...even the person getting fries next to him at McDonalds. He taught me that listening and hearing is NOT AGREEING, Chad. I listened to that.  I can't wait to learn more from those I work for, from those I work beside, and from those who sit across from me even when they're in trouble. For everyone deserves to be actively listened to when they speak. And the ones who don't speak, probably need to be heard the most.

So on this early Friday Eve of the new school year, I raise my wonderful beverage on this beautiful late summer evening to all those GREAT LISTENERS out there...and I'll raise it one more time to the ASPIRING ONES like me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment